[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
Patch Together :: Forum • View topic - Help for my next idea for a toy...

Welcome to PatchTogether Forum

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:46 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Help for my next idea for a toy...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:10 pm 

I've recently moved to a house tha requires a lot of attention and busy at work. I'll be back soon. In the meantime I look forward to your concept!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:43 am 

Here are some of the concept for the ideas previously mentioned.
Attachment:
mockTurtle.jpg

Mock Turtle which is from Alice in Wonderland is the mix between a turtle and cow. A play on how mock turtle soup is actually made with beef cheek, tails and leg meet. As cute as the idea is, I don't think he would be easily understood without explanation. My fav is the one closest to the recycle symbol.
Attachment:
dragonTurtle.jpg

Dragon Turtle is a Chinese creature with the head of a dragon and the body of a turtle. I like the idea of putting a new spin on this guy. Dragons are quite popular, but I fear as is so far he is too close to another design here -> http://www.patchtogether.com/designs/Fradly-the-Friendly-Chimera-1375.html. If I'm to continue this one...I will need major tweaking.
Attachment:
aztecJag01.jpg

Aztec sky jaguar as mentioned by Sam. I like how he looks in the image but again he is too close to another design more recently submitted here ->http://www.patchtogether.com/designs/chi-tigers-4699.html. Again if it is to go any further, it will need major tweaking.

These designs are in the beginner stages and will require work, any feed back is appreciated...I'm still open to suggestions for lesser known mythical creatures for toys...These guys are to get the ball rolling.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:03 pm 

you've been busy :)

how about the jaguar coiling up the wind plumes? That way it wouldn't look like chi tigers. Though honestly, IMO don't worry about looking too close to other ideas. It's going to be hard not to have some similarities along the way. So long as they came about independantly so be it. Besides, colors and style are completely different.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:21 am 

I'm still toying around with the idea of the Sky Jaguar, but I seem to be having a bit of an art block with it. Here is what did with it ... I don't know seems a little cliche to me.
Attachment:
aztecJag02.jpg

I looked up Bacab and most places I read said they are usually depicted as old men. But there was a Jaguar God Tezcatlipoca who battled the Quetzalcoatl. So I had a little brain wave of sorts... I turned both Tezcotlipoca and the Quetzalcoatl into Floxys. I'm still working on them but I thought an opinion would be good for them. Here is what I have so far
Attachment:
aztecJag03.jpg
Attachment:
aztecSnake01.jpg

Keep in mind turning a fox shape into a believable snake shape is a little difficult...hence the smoke around the base. Also, sorry for the messy images, the paper I have is textured and I'm not very fond of it -.-

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:36 am 

I'm digging the mesoamerican influenced Floxy you are working on, though if you are familiar which much of my work, I am sure that comes as no surprise. The jaguar seems much stronger as a design than the quetzalcoatl at this stage. I'm not really sold on the whole Sky jaguar concept so far.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:32 am 

Agreeing with Evil-Santa!
For the sky jaguar, I am iffy about the wings. Adding angel wings to a cat/dog is pretty common and seems a bit like a cop out. Try conveying "sky" without using wings! (easier said than done, I know!)

I LOVE the first Floxy, and it seems exactly like what they're looking for in the contest. The second one has some really creative solutions for turning Floxy into a snake, but I'm a little unsold on it overall. Perhaps colors will change my mind? :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:53 am 

Here is the latest Tezcatlipoca Floxy. (the sky jaguar as a floxy)
I moved the skull and put a mirror on the chest place. He is the God of smoke and mirrors after all. I think I might try putting smoke in the mirror, but other then that, this guys is ready (as long as there is not crits) to be cleaned up and colours added. I haven't decide weather to give him a black, yellow, or sky like coat. I was considering night sky, but myth say he can be evil so "black" could be interesting. I'm going to try something different (for me) with the line art to make it more appealing. What do you guys think?

Offline Profile