[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
Patch Together :: Forum • View topic - Finally posting some ideas & sketches!

Welcome to PatchTogether Forum

It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Finally posting some ideas & sketches!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:23 pm 

Hello everyone,

I joined PT a while back now but still haven't submitted any designs so I still feel new :oops: . I'm so inspired by all of the creativity and talent I see here. I though its about time I actually get involved and put out some ideas.

Here are some rough sketches of some ideas I have been working on. I especially interested seeing if any concepts catch peoples eye and are worth perusing further. Any general feedback on the process of getting sketches to final submit-able drawing is also appreciated.

Ideas:
The boy who drew cats
Good and bad habits
DIY dragon body figure
Yawn Onion
( I can explain the story/ concept behind each if anyone is interested ^_^ )

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Finally posting some ideas & sketches!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:26 pm 

I have even more ideas in my sketch book. If I can find a scanner maybe I will post those as well...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:58 am 

You are a very strong designer, and I'm surprised you haven't posted anything yet. Your designs are well done. You have original ideas with strong pose that grabs peoples attention as well as a pleasing colour pattern. I think you'll do well.
For the Cat designs- I love that you have done several different faces, but you still convey that it is a strong animal without seeing the body. Some of the poses are common but have enough movement in them to give interest.
For the habits design- I would give the good habit a softer feel. You accomplished it with the pink colour nicely. To give a gentler feel in its face you can give it slightly larger eyes and a smaller mouth. Small mouths give a feel of gentleness because it seems less likely to bite (eat) you. Large eye give a cute appeal.
Diy dragon- This ones tricky. DIYs must have a flexible shape and feel to them to be truly successful, but if you can pull it off all the power to you.
Yawning onion- could go well beside biting pear. I can almost smell the onion breath from here C;

As I said, I think you'll do well. You characters tell a story and are interesting. I look forward to seeing more from you.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:35 am 

You have a strong grasp of anatomy, colour and design in your toys. Although Patchtogether is fairly quiet these days, you should do well here.

The yawning Onion is interesting but largely due to the relation with the biting pear. I'm not sure if you are familiar with Ursulav's other works on Deviant Art but she has a whole gallery of strange fruits and vegetable that you may enjoy.

I'm actually quite a fan of the yin yang Bad Habits creatures. If you are familiar with my work I suppose that would be of little surprise. It has a strong mythological and cultural feeling and I enjoy the flowing tentacle-like-body shape. The balance between cute and menacing is quite good though you could push it further if you desired to. I think the koi/ axolotl colour combination in particular is strong in promoting your design. Good work!

Offline Profile