where design and community
Submitted on 16th Sep 2010
Comments : 9 comment(s)
Voted by : 34 People
Average Score: Vote to know the Score
Visits : 2590
About My Design
Tan Vien Son Thanh - Son Tinh (English: Saint of the Tan Vien Moutain) is one of the most famous mythical characters of Vietnam. It is said that he was in a competition with the God of Sea - Thuy Tinh, in order to marry the King's daughter - Mi Nuong. The King - Hung Vuong - made up a test to choose only one of them to be his son-in-law: Whoever come back with a nine-tusked-elephant, a nine-spured-cock and a nine-red maned-horse first, would get the princess.

Being the king of moutains and forrest, Son Tinh easily managed to come back with all the required beasts, and got the girl as his wife. A bit late, Thuy Tinh got extremely angry and came after Son Tinh right away, trying to get the girl from his competitors' hands. He raised the sea, made heavy rains upon Son Tinh's land, hoping they would kill his enemy. But to defense himself and his just-married wife, Son Tinh used the moutains to stop the raging water and pushed Thuy Tinh back to his lair at The Sea of the East. But Thuy Tinh never quit. He comes back every year, makes storms and rains and floods, destroy many many villages, but he always lose to the power of Son Tinh. The people of Vietnam started worshiping Son Tinh as their protector from then on every year when the storm season comes.

I tend to make the concept for all the characters in this story, including Thuy Tinh, Hung Vuong the King and Princess Mi Nuong. Hoping to come back asap.

Thank you for all the support and votes. I hope this will get into product process soon.

9 Comments
Piti commented on 27th Jun 2012 (Report Spam)

Love the cgaracter design, the color and the look!

Undertow69 commented on 2nd Jun 2011 (Report Spam)
very cool
Mabelma commented on 7th Jan 2011 (Report Spam)
Very nice, I love the clothing design and the story behind him is really nice too. Great shading and character design I have my doubts about buying it as a toy but if you add a weapon or two I'd buy it.
splendidriver commented on 20th Dec 2010 (Report Spam)

@fermion: I really tried everything to make the Hung Vuong-era-ish feel to the character. Like the hat, the clothes style and the pattern, of course some fantasy touches too. I know this is not the best concept for Son Tinh as a Vietnamese God, but yeah I tried, and I know it's not easy.

fermion commented on 20th Dec 2010 (Report Spam)
It's a lovely concept and I hope you'll do more, but he doesn't look Vietnamese to me at all. Greek, maybe, like an Achilles of the forest. Stylistically, It reminds me very much of Disney's Hercules or The Emperor's New Groove. I love the idea of it, but if I'm buying a Vietnamese deity toy, I'd really like it to look Vietnamese.
Grey Matter commented on 25th Sep 2010 (Report Spam)
u
BlackMokona commented on 23rd Sep 2010 (Report Spam)
This's so good! I like it when there is anything related to myths :D The Character looks awesome!!
taolo commented on 20th Sep 2010 (Report Spam)
[bows quietly to your greatness]
Polysoup commented on 17th Sep 2010 (Report Spam)

I love your rendering style. I also appreciate learning about other culture's mythology. Thank you for filling us in on the story. I like the fact that he has nature elements (the colors/patterns in the cloak, headdress, shin guards) without it looking overly "foresty".

More Designs by Artist

...See All Designs

About Artist

splendidriver has submitted 6 designs so far.

Embed this Design

Embed this Design to help promote it around the web.

Click on the box below, Press "CTRL + C" to Copy and then Paste on other websites or blogs that allow basic html.